We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HTC tethering a netbook

sunnystaines
Resolved

Likes # 0

is it just a case of connecting the two together with the usb lead then pressing wifihotspot on the htc desire and following the on screen instructions or is there more to it.

phone htc desire android netbook samsung nf110 w7 starter

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't use the wifi hotspot and connect by USB. It's one or the other. The wifi hotspot will drain the phone battery. USB maybe best. With a Samusng it is done through the software on the PC/laptop not sure about the HTC.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ps Don't do this overseas as it will cost a lot.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Woolwell

thanks it just for the uk, read through the manual but cannot grasp it, i'm a big novice on phones. looks like a usb connection is the way to go but totally lost.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Do not get Hot spot Connection mixed up with Web'n'Walk. You are tethered to a Hot Spot like McDonald's. This would work Direct to the Netbook WiFi no need for HTC

PS I think you on about using a Cell phone as a Modem on the Netbook, when out and about. Very Expensive

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woodchip

if i use the phone as a modem with a usb lead is it just internet allowance i use, or is it phonecall time as well?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It uses your data allowance not your phone time. Data allowance can get expensive especially out of UK.

Wifi hot spot on your android phone allows it to be like a wireless router which other devices can link to and get internet etc.

USB tethering is the way I do it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You need to install HTC Sync on your netbook and then tether see HTC Desire tethering

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Woolwell

thanks i will try that option

Like this post  
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the "3" shop set it up for me.

thanks all that helped

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features