We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

logon problem

Newuser2

Likes # 0

Just upgraded from XP to W7 all went well untill I installed keyboard software. The PC boots up OK but the keyboard and mouse are dead to I can't enter my password. Tried another key board but no go. Is there a way around this big prob.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Are keyboard/mouse PS2/USB/wireless?

It may be you will need basic PS2 units (uninstall the rest) to enable a login as other options may well be disabled for security.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ensure legacy for DOS is enabled in the BIOS and use a USB keyboard

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Units are PS2. I can't unistall as I can't enter the password as the keyboard and mouse are dead. Was tinking of getting a new keyboard, but till I can access the PC me thinks I'm stuck

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Can't see any way to enable lecacy for DOS

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try starting in safe mode and see if you can get it to work on there.If so.[all went well untill I installed keyboard software]Maybe uninstall the keyboard software and let Microsoft update it on a reboot.

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Tried safe mode, and several other options. When it gets to the password screen the keyboard is dead.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried just plugging in a USB keyboard? and rebooting

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat mmmmm No but its an idea. Just have to go a get one I guess.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

£2 or £3 from Asda / tesco always useful to have a spare keyboard / mouse

Like this post
Newuser2

Likes # 0

Well usb keyboard attached, mouse works but still cant enter password into box. It tells me I can reset password using a disc I made previously. I didn't make one cause W7 upgrade didn't advise to make one.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...