We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless network extension via Ethernet

bernard46

Likes # 0

I have a Wireless router at the front of my house and it needs to remain there. I use this for wirelss access from a laptop. I need to use the laptop at the rear of the house but the signal will not extend that far. So I have installed a Cat5 cable to reach to the rear of the house. I would like to attach a device to this cable at the rear so that I can have wireless access to the house network from anywhere within a reasonable distance. I am confused about what type of router/switch/hub I would need to do this - can anyone advise me please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Solwise Why not do it using homeplugs. These would eliminate the need for a cable. You would need a standard one plugged into a socket near the router and a wireless one at the other side of the house.

Like this post
bernard46

Likes # 0

Well, the cable is there already so I would like to use it if possible. I'm just not sure, having read all the jargon, whether it is possible to have what would effectively be a wireless repeater but connected via ethernet to the other wireless router (which was supplied by the ISP - Virgin Media).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If mgmcc comes along, he'll know for sure.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

A read of this

1: http://www.40tech.com/2010/09/20/how-to-extend-the-range-of-your-wireless-network-using-a-spare-router-as-a-wireless-access-point/ may make things clearer

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry, don't know what went wrong there - try this link link text

Like this post
bernard46

Likes # 0

I checked out both of your suggestions and found them interesting. Thanks for the input. Unfortunatley I don't have another spare router around that I could try out the Tomato solution on, but if I'm buying something the Solwise solution looks interesting. Do you have any suggestions of other off-the-shelf devices that could make use of the wired ethernet connection? Thanks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...