We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting Laptop to TV via HDMI - No sound

John-P

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone is able to offer any advice, I have read the TV manual and searched various pages on the web but I cant seem to get the sound to come out of the TV.

I have an Acer Aspire 5738 laptop and an Alba LCD37880F1080P TV. I have connected the laptop to the TV using a HDMI cable. The picture is very good, but I can only get the sound to come out of the laptop and not the TV.

I know its not a major problem, but I would like to try and resolve it so if anyone can help that would be great.

Thanks, John.

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

Just to add, my laptop is on windows 7.

John :)

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Right Click on the Speaker Icon in the System Tray and select playback devices. Next set Digital Audio to Default.

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

Hi Thank you for your reply. I have just done that and the little green bar is moving up and down as the music is playing but there is no sound coming out.

John

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

It has two options in playback devices

1) Speakers - This option uses the laptop speakers

2) Realtek Digital Output - This is the one I made default but the green equaliser bar goes up and down with no sound coming out

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Do you have the top option in the image below..??

Playback Devices

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

Hi no I don't have that.

I only have speakers and Realtek Digital output. I have ticked the show disabled devises and the hdmi one is still not there. How do I get it?

John :)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

it depends on the hardware inside a pc if sound can come through hdmi, looks like you will need to connect the headphone socket on the laptop to the sound in on tv

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Known problem see here for the nvidia hotfix

Like this post
John-P

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit bat,

Thanks for the link. I must confess im finding it a bit confusing, S/PDIF, GPU, DLP, DVI.

To be honest, which may sound a bit stupid, but I cant follow the instructions, its like another language to me. Also im on Windows 7, not vista. So im guessing that download would be the incorrect version?

Thanks, John

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do