We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgraded RAM but system no faster

Axii9

Likes # 0

Hi I upgraded the 1 GB ddr2 RAM module to a compatible 2GB one from offtek in my Samsung nc250 netbook. I followed an internet guide to upgrade which was very simple for my system. However, I have seen no noticeable improvement in speed at all. It had been used for a week prior to upgrade so was pretty new.

Anybody have any ideas of what I might do or what I might have not done?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Is the new RAM being seen by BIOS? You can check using 'My Computer/Properties', the amount should be shown in the 'General' list at the bottom.

Is the RAM fitted the same speed as the original? i.e. the label should be DDR-XXX where the XXX is the same for both.

Is it installed correctly? Good contact, correct slot?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"no noticeable improvement in speed"

What speed are you meaning? do you mean Internet surfing and time taken for pages to load or the running of software program tasks on your netbook?

Like this post
Axii9

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies.

johndrew I checked and the installed memory is showing as 2.00 GB. The module has the same numbers : 2GB SO-DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 I checked and it is fitted correctly.

lotvic I mean the speed of start up of the system, start up/ loading of software and running of software, especially when I have a few applications running at the same time. E.g. when I checked what johndrew above suggested, it took ages for the properties to show up.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you done a malware/virus scan? Or maybe cleaned out the rubbish with Ccleaner or similar? Both may also cause this slowdown.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

It's only a single core processor and the machine is designed really just for internet use, hence the name netbook. Upgrading the ram makes no significant difference, you will make more difference by dumping all the manufacturer installed 'utilities' as a lot of these run from startup and are in the background using up valuable processor time. Check 'Startup' in 'Start,Menu' and remove shortcuts from there, you can always start them manually if you need them any other time. Use Ccleaner - Tools, Startup to see what else is running and remove any there that you don't need. Use a 'lightweight AV' like M$ Security Essentials that does not hog system resources.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You will not se no speed difference in normal use, it will be faster when you use it for Photo And Video Editing

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK