We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dead Laptop

johnincrete

Likes # 0

May or may not be related to my post on a dead PC.

The laptop at school was nearly always connected to the mains i.e. only rarely was it run on the battery. Its and Advent running windows 7 that I bought in England last year and is not used very much. Now, when you press the On switch, there is a little red light (so small that I cannot tell what the icon is) that lights for a couple of seconds and then nothing. There is no red light when it is disconnected from the mains.

Is there any way I can test the battery without another identical laptop?

Any ideas before I take it to the repair shop?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Have you checked the mains voltage at the socket you are using? Your PC/laptop may not recognise a low voltage but your screen supply may automatically compensate.

As a general rule I believe it is suggested the battery from a laptop be charged and stored in a fridge (not freezer!!) if the unit is to be used continually on mains power. Extends the battery life.

You should be able to determine what the "little red light" is by examining its location on the case.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Try on mains only, battery removed.

Don't hold the On button down too long when switching on. My laptop switches off after two seconds if I hold On button down for more than half a second.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

To Johndrew Mains voltage OK - laptop happily ran for nearly a year. Comments re battery noted with tanks.

Robin Done as suggested. Not even the little red light!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I don`t know if this has been suggested for either the desktop or laptop but remove the laptop battery and the power supply and then hold the power button down for 40 seconds. Replace the power supply (Not the Laptop battery) and try a reboot. You can do this with the tower as well. Just a thought.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

I've consulted a computer repair technician here who says that the problem is in the main board & must be replaced under guarentee. Problem is that I bought it from the infamous PC World & the only way to contact them appears to be using their very expensive phone. I need to somehow register the fault with them while within the 1 year guarentee.
Anyone know an email or smailmail address? The PC World & Techguys web sites are no use.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The only contact I'm aware of is link text

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Johndrew Followed link & signed up but it only allows you to select questions from a FAQ list. Will ask visitor from UK to take laptop to where I bought it - PC World Reading

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Laptop taken to PC World where they found the problem was the power cable. Bought new one and is charging up properly.

Thanks everyone

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

No problem and thanks for coming back to give some feedback. Is it resolved?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...