We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer keeps shutting down

rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hello, this problem only started this morning, i get online for ten mins or so and then pc shuts down, it has done this three times today, last time it started up again as soon as it closed, i went to event viewer and there are lots of errors, when i tired to get help online by clicking the link on the event viewer page it wont load, there are so many different errors for this couple of hours i dont know where to start, a lot are listing services like the network location service failed to start because the dependency service or group failed to start, there were more , all saying this dependency service or group failed to start also got DCOM errors 1084 and 1068 attempting to run fdPHOST and Wsearch, there were also errors saying the following boot start or system start drivers failed to load AFD and AValdx86, i am on safemode now and it hasnt shut down yet, if anyone can point me in right direction to sort the problem i would be grateful, i am running windows vista home premium, thank you.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Desktop/laptop? Make/Model?

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Suggest running a free malwareprogram such as malwarebytes or superantispyware to check for problems. If no problems show up you could do a system restore to the previous restore point. It is easy to become paranoid about event viewer. My computer runs perfectly despite numerous faults in event viewer. I now have stopped using event viewer and tend to be sceptical about its worth. There could be many reasons why your computer is shutting down but the above is a start point.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Auto-reboot disable: When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message. To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
  2. Go to Advanced
  3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
  4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

This is what I would do if its a Desktop, check inside to see how may strips off memory is in it, these have tabs holding them in at each end. If more than one just try with one strip at a time, you may need to put the strip in number 1 memory slot to try it, try each strip in turn

Like this post
rubygxx

Likes # 0

Hi all and thanks for all the replies, i did run malwarebytes as soon as this started , full scan and it was clear, avg is clear too, but the thing is this happened yesterday morning 3 times in a row, i was frantically writing stuff down from event viewer to see if i could get to the bottom of it, but after i posted in here , the bleeding pc didnt shut down again, i was not getting blue screen or anything, i do not have a clue what what on earth was going on but it has now stopped !, i had no more problem with it yesterday and so far nothing today, so i will leave well alone and keep fingers crossed.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If desktop take the side off, take the fan off of the heatsink and clean out the dust from between the fins of the heatsink with a soft brush and vacume cleaner. It could be that it is over heating and dust also causes static.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......