We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another digital changeover question

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Sorry to be boring on this subject, but I've looked everywhere I can think of and failed to resolve the question.

I have a digital TV and receive terrestrial Freeview (by aerial only - no satellite dish) I also use both an analogue only VCR and DVD/R unit to (currently) record programmes from the five analogue stations.

At change over is it possible to use a digibox with either VCR or DVD/R (or both) to record Freeview transmissions whilst watching a different channel on the TV? If so what would be the connection chain?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

You need two aerial inputs (splitter) one to TV and other to digibox

Connect digibox to VCR / DVR via scart

set digibox timer to select channel at appropriate time

set VCR / DVR to record from scart input.

TV can be used as a normal unit to view any digi channel on its own tuner

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its an Analogue Recorder, You will only be able to record the program that is on screen that you are watching, using the scart connection for this. it will not pick up digital signals if its not a digital box

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I have gone through all this with my own Equipment,and there is no way that it will record Digital to Analogue. As above is the only way

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Come the changeover, there will be no more analog broadcasts, so analog equipment will no longer work. I'm surprised woodchip says that a VCR will still work (if only to record the onscreen program) but if he says it's so, then it's so... :-) Realistically, you should be looking at getting a DVR/PVR. They're not expensive.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Ian of course the vcr will work with its own freeview box . The output from these boxes is Analogue otherwise analogue TV would not work either

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Mine is a VCR/DVD recorder It Records to both or one to the other, but its Analogue.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS if its Freeview then its got to be digital

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

In my experience most digiboxes have RF loop-through so an aerial splitter is not necessary. The digibox may need to be in standby for this to function. If there is no RF input to the VCR or DVR, time/date will need to be set manually for timed recordings. These have RF loop-through generally but if the route is digibox to VCR to DVR to TV, the signal may become inadequte or the boxes may need to be powered.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Auto Time/Date won't work anyway when analogue transmission is turned off.

RF Y splitter negates the need to keep box(es) powered although most new units are <1W standby. Some people still like to switch off at bedtime anyway.

Twin SCART box (Aux as output) would be needed if still wanting to record on VCR as well as DVD. (can the VCR record from SCART? It may not. Would you want to anyway?)

Or if single SCART box, a SCART Splitter Box or Cable would be required

SCART Splitters

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

mine works both ways and can record to either

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer