We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security for Linux

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Is there a recommended security program for Linx?

Does it need it?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Anti virus link text

AVG antimalware for linux

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Not needed if you are using the live CD

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Linux is very secure out of the box and generally you don't need to worry about any further protection.

It doesn't suffer from malware and hardly anyone in the Linux world uses anti-virus software. The exceptions to that are email servers, that attempt to clean up the mess left by Windows emails that are sometimes infested.

ClamAV is available as a native Linux anti-virus software should you feel the need, along with Freshclam which will update it automatically for you. Both those applications should be available from your distributions (distro) repositories.

If you're new to Linux, I suggest you only use applications out of your distro's repositories. Using anything else may need to be "compiled" and whilst that's not overly complicated, it's another hurdle you would need to learn and digest.

Personally, I don't bother with any of it except on my servers. It really isn't necessary.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features