We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Defrag disk

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been using Diskkeeper (Full version) and it always seems to do a good job. I have downloaded AVG and one of their options is AVG tune up (trial), so I tried it, apart from the erors it found , it reported my main disk was 59% fragmented and proceded to defrag it, with a result of 0% fragmentation

I have now re-checked it with Diskkeeper and it shows a lot of fragmented files and unused disk space in the middle of the drive.

How do diffeent defragmenters get their fragmentation sums?

Thanks for looking

Terry

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 1

its the optimse function of defrag. different defrag programs do it differently each one will undo the others work.

out of your two i would keep to diskeeper

Like this post  
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Thanks Sunnystaines.

That is what I think I will do.

Terry

Like this post
Bill R TechSpec

Likes # 0

Sunnystains is right -- each defragmenter does things differently (and some, like Diskeeper, do things much better than others).

He's right again in recommending you keep Diskeeper as it will defrag your disks automatically and prevent fragmentation (also, it is VERY transparent while it defrags, meaning you don't have to stop using the PC while it's defragmenting.

AVG makes excellent anti-virus but I have seen many complaints about the AVG Tune-Up suite, as it tries to do too much and ends up doing nothing particularly well (as is true for most program "suites").

Check out the Defragmentation Information Center for more info on what Diskeeper does so you can use it to its full potential:

Defrag Info Center: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag/defragmentation-center/

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added