We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

modem connection setup

harps1h

Likes # 0

I am torn between buying a seperate modem and a dedicated router or to buy a combo.

If I went down the first path, the modem I would go for is the http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html this will allow me to configure the priorities of the network (important to me as I like online gaming)

However if I do this the budget is tight for a router. This is not that important in that the only people using wireless is the children. I will be wired to the internet. If I go down this route, how would my system setup? Is it possible to conect my computer directly into the modem and also run the wireless from the router or will need to connect to the router and thus to the network?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Most commonly, users with Cable broadband (where the ISP provides the Cable Modem) use separate modem and router. With ADSL via the phone line, the preferred option is to use a combined Router & ADSL Modem.

"Is it possible to conect my computer directly into the modem and also run the wireless from the router or will need to connect to the router and thus to the network?"

The function of a Router is to allow multiple computers (or other devices) to have simultaneous internet access. A stand alone modem will only allow the connection of a single device - the ISP only allocates a single IP address and every internet connection must have a unique IP address. When a router is used, it gets the single IP address and in turn allocates IP addresses in one of the ranges reserved for Local Area networks, most commonly 192.168.x.x addresses, to the computers connected to it. It then "routes" internet traffic to the appropriate IP address in the LAN.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

That being the case, can anyone recommend a decent modem router for between 50 - 70

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...