We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive

jerica

Likes # 0

Hi, I've got dual hard drives with a dual install of XP on one and 7 Ultimate on the other, I think one of them is on the way out (strange whiring noise at start up, which goes after boot finishes), I haven't determined which one it is yet but my question is is it possible to tranfer everthing to a new hard drive and still have it work properly or is it a complete re-install? Thanks.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I use Acronis True Image - if you have a Seagate, Maxtor or Western Digital Hard Drive you can download a free version from the HDD manufacturer. You can then clone your HDD to another of at least the same capacity and then do a straight replacement.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

ALternatively, you can copy the entire partition from the old drive to a new one using any partition manager. This avoids the necessity of having identically sized HHDs so you can use the opportunity to upsize at the same time.

Like this post
jerica

Likes # 0

Thanks, sounds simpler that it will turn out to be but at least I know where to start, thanks again.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If you go to th website of the manufacturer of th new drive you want to fit thy will have their own software for doing just that and they are usually based on Acronis and free

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes