We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop won't connect

triciarob

Likes # 0

I have just got a laptop and am having problems connecting to wi-fi at home.

Desktop has no problem, iphone connects ok.

When connecting laptop says 'taking longer than usual, connected with limited connectivity'. 'Connected to router but not to internet'.

I ran a diagnosis check which said to unplug router and laptop, then leave for a few seconds then try again. It connected ok, but I shouldn't have to do this each time, should I?

I have not added anything to settings on the laptop.

Very frustrating, hope someone can help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try resetting security passphrase in laptop

Like this post
triciarob

Likes # 0

Security password is fine (i think) Connects automatically. but shows limited!!

Like this post
triciarob

Likes # 0

Security password is fine (i think) Connects automatically. but shows limited!!

Like this post
kalignorgna

Likes # 0

if the iphone connects to the wireless then its not a password problem or conection problem, how far away is the laptop from the router? on the laptop have you tryed using the comand pannel and typing in ipconfig /release then typing in ipconfig /renew.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

OR from the Command Prompt (You may have to Run as Administrator) type in NETSH WINSOCK RESET (with the spaces) this will reset your LAN

Like this post
triciarob

Likes # 0

Bit of a novice. Have got laptop in fron of me whilst typing this. can you go through it with me?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Click START - in search box type CMD - right click on the Command Box that comes up and select Run as Administrator - type NETSH WINSOCK RESET (with the spaces - then RETURN key - then close and restart your PC.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

with the spaces - then RETURN key - then close and restart your PC.

that bit should read (with the spaces) - then RETURN key - then close and restart your PC

Like this post
triciarob

Likes # 0

i am trying this now

Like this post
triciarob

Likes # 0

still showing limited connectivity. on network sharing center shows unitentified network (public network).. access limited connectivity

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...