We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD drive problems

stlucia2
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm having a couple of problems with the DVD drive/burner built into my HP Pavillion PC, which may be related. Windows Device Manager shows Optiarc DVD RW AD-7201S5 is present, with no alerts for any hardware, yet Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 (yes, I know it's old) reports that there's no burner installed when I try to burn a disc; and Lotus Smartsuite 9.7 installation disc isn't recognised when I try to run it. The drive is working though, for it can read other DVDs.

The problems started yesterday after I'd used Norton Partition Magic to combine two partitions of my HDD into one, after adding a new external HDD for my backups. I immediately had one or two problems with incorrect drive letter assignments, most of which I've sorted so that installed programs run correctly. The drive was working correctly with both the Lotus disc and with Roxio immediately after the partitions were combined, but the problem has started this morning when I'm trying to (a) burn a project which I've created in Roxio and (b) reinstall Lotus 1-2-3.

Any ideas how to sort things out, please? My OS is XP with all updates.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

More info:

I've just re-booted my PC and now the drive doesn't read any disc -- a while ago it read a home-burned DVD okay, and yesterday it was reading and burning CDs and DVDs okay. In Windows Explorer it's shown as "DVD-RAM Drive (H:)" until I put a disc in, at which point the label changes to "CD Drive (H:)" even if it's a DVD that I've put in.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Does the DVD drive still have its original drive letter? If not, try re-assigning its original letter and see if that resolves the problem.

Roxio and Lotus may have registry entries pointing to the original location and, after rebooting the PC, the link has been lost.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Your second posting, which now makes a nonsense of mine, wasn't there when I wrote my reply!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41 Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager. (This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)

CD-DVD-Fix This utility is only intended for Windows® XP, but also appears to work for Vista and Windows 7.

Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.

You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

Similar fixes

msfix

cdgone

or manual fix Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values. Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer. If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

mgmcc, I don't think the drive has it's previous drive letter now, though I can't be sure because I don't remember what it was. But when I tried to reinstall Lotus 1-2-3 from scratch (after deleting it from the merged partition because I wanted it on my C: drive with other programs), it failed with an error message about drive J:\ not valid. I was prepared to edit the registry to sort that one out, as outlined on the MS support pages, but haven't done it yet.

Fruit Bat ^0^, I've tried your manual registry key fix, and run CD-DVD Fix, but the problem persists -- the drive shows okay in Device Manager, and shows up in Windows Explorer as drive H:, but whenever I put any disc in (CD or DVD) it becomes "CD Drive" instead of "DVD-ROM Drive" in Explorer, and doesn't read the disc.

When I clicked on your msfix link it couldn't find the page, and cdgone didn't seem to relate to my problem, so I took that one no further.

Would a complete resinstall (or repair) of Windows XP solve the problem?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Go into device manager and uninstall it

reboot the machine and let windows find and reinstall the drive

While you have the machine switched off you could also try opening the case and check the data(ribbon) cable is fully pushed in at drive and motherboard.

if this doesn't fix it its likely to be a failed:

a) cable b) DVD laser or laser aligning electonics in the drive

A new drive is less than £20 and easy to fit just 4 screws and two connections.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Ok, I've uninstalled it, and it's gone through the "Found New Hardware" routine successfully when I re-booted. But no joy, so I'll have to open the case :-(

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

My problem has got worse ...

I bought a new BD/DVD/CD drive and installed it in the spare bay in my PC. Its SATA lead was plugged into the third (of four) SATA sockets on the motherboard, and its power lead was plugged into a spare on the PSU loom. On powering up the PC it went through the "new hardware found" routine, and then both burners showed up in Device Manager (and were reported as working correctly), and both showed up in Windows Explorer, as Drives F and H.

But, for each burner, when I insert a disk, the designation in Explorer reverts to "CD Drive" instead of "DVD-RAM Drive", and the disc can't be read. In fact, with the original drive, it then says "Please insert a disk ..." even though that's what I've just done.

Any ideas where the problem lies, please?

The new burner uses the original SATA lead, but is plugged into a different socket, because I thought that might be the problem. The old burner uses a new SATA lead, and is plugged into the socket it originally was in. One of the other sockets is used by the internal HDD, and is unchanged, and working.

I've uninstalled both drives in Device Manager, and re-booted to force a reinstallation, but the situation is unchanged.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\drivers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:- DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

Check these files are located in the correct folders

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

Thanks for getting back, Fruit Bat ^0^.

imapi.sys, REDBOOK.sys, and storprop.dll are all where they should be, but MxW12k.sys and pfc.sys are nowhere to be found on my PC (I did an all-drives Search in Windows Explorer).

So, what do I do, please? Search for them on the internet, or on my Windows XP installation disc, and then simply copy them over to the correct directories?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia