We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista/XP Home edition.

Conny
Resolved

Likes # 0

Daughter has had trouble trying to recover lost pics on her laptop Hard Drive. Latest attempt/suggestion is to plug the HDD into my HP desktop. which is using XP Home as the OS. Trouble is lappy HDD is Vista OS so I doubt it will work. Am I correct?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Yes it will work. How are you connecting the hard drive?

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

What exactly do you mean by "recover lost pics" on the laptop-have they simply disappeared (eg if the drive is starting to fail as the result of a bad drive or due to age)? Or have the files accidentally been deleted by a user? If the files have been deleted then recovery software may be able to help get them back, such as Recuva.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need a caddy to put the Laptop Hard Drive in, But why cannot she get to the files? will it not start?

Like this post
Conny

Likes # 0

I will try to connect it into a spare plug on the ribbon cable to the present Desktop HDD or is there a simpler way? The pics have been 'lost' as the lappy was dropped. Can't get it to boot up so think the laser must be out of alignment. Thanks for the replies lads.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I think from your previous thread (Can`t find it now) that you were asked if the laptop HDD was SATA or IDE Picture of both types Depending on the corresponding cable connections in your tower will determine if you can do this. If your tower uses ribbon cables it is likely to be IDE and you will need an adapter cable or block to fit the smaller laptop drive. If SATA happy days!

A small 2.5" caddy for either drive type can be bought for around £7 but if as you suspect the drive itself is damaged it won`t magically allow you access the files you need.

Simplest option is to ask a small local computer shop if they can check out if the drive can be accessed. They should be able to do that in about 5 minutes because they will have all the above options. If they can read the drive just buy a caddy from them. Can`t see them charging meore than £15 for it under these circumstanaces. Then you have a spare backup drive with all your old data - something which, with the benefit of hindsight, you should have had anyway.

Like this post
Conny

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies guys, especially Taff. Lappy is a SATA and desktop definitely an IDE. Therefore no chance of doing it. Well, it had to be asked and now I know. Will tell her to give it to the PCDoctor in the High street, see if he can do anything. Once again thank you to all who replied.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Maplins sell an adaptor cable which will connect SATA or PATA 2.5 or 3.5 to a USB port (I know as I have one). However, if the laptop was dropped there is the possibility that the HDD itself has been damaged. If this is the case, the adaptor will obviouslt not work.

If it 'won't boot' - does anything appear on the screen? If not, it may be the screen has been damaged. Plug an external monitor in and use the Fn keys to switch output to monitor.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded