We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Updating Windows on a dual-boot PC

CurlyWhirly

Likes # 0

Hi.

I am now running a dual-boot configuration, namely, Windows Vista on a standard hard-drive and Windows 7 on a newly acquired SSD drive.

A few days ago I had the usual Windows notification that there are Windows updates available.

These 14 updates successfully downloaded and installed or so I thought !

Stage 1 completed okay but then the PC rebooted and up came the usual screen where I have to choose what operating system to load.

As it was Vista that I was updating, I chose this but after doing so the screen went blank and I had to soft reset the PC and choose the option to go back to the last configuration that worked.

If I remember right, there are usually 3 stages before Microsoft updates are successfully installed.

How do I get the drive with Vista to successfully update (i.e. complete stages 2 and 3) as I've never updated Windows on a dual-boot setup before ?

The Vista update failed and so my Vista installation isn't up to date !

I never carried the following out but after the reboot (after stage 1 of the windows installation had completed), should I have just left the dual-boot operating system menu alone even though in normal use Windows 7 (on the SSD drive) would automatically load after a 30 second interval as this is the default operating system.

I'm somewhat confused to be honest.

The Windows 7 OS has successfully updated itself it's just the Vista update I'm having trouble with !

Cheers.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback