We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't install touchpad driver

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

NEC laptop, XP Pro. Reinstall after crash. Got everything working except touchpad. It doesn't show in Device Manager. Downloaded the driver from NEC - when I click on the exe file, I get 'DLL could not be opened'. Any ideas please?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You could always try the generic Synaptics driver for XP Click Here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go to Control Panel and then to the Add Hardware Wizard. Let it do a search first. If it does not pick it up you swill need to run it again the select choose from list and have a look through the list

PS touchpad should be under Mice i

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go to Control Panel and then to the Add Hardware Wizard. Let it do a search first. If it does not pick it up you swill need to run it again the select choose from list and have a look through the list

PS touchpad should be under Mice in

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you see any yellow icons click on them then unistall and reboot

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks - I'll give those a go0 when I've taken the dog out (she who must be obeyed has spoken). No Yellow exclam marks, which is odd.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Very odd. Add Hardware sees nothing. Nothing in Device Manager except the USB mouse I'm using. Beginning to wonder if the touchpad is U/S?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

What model of NEC Laptop do you have? I have read a number of Google articles regarding touchpads not showing in Device Manager, some are hardware related others software. I just wanted to check that you have the correct download from NEC.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You might want to run this utility to see if a touchpad is detected as part of your hardware.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks C-T. Sorry for delay, but I've been stripping it down to see if the ribbon lead was loose - it wasn't!

Ran that utility - it only saw the mouse I have plugged into the USB port. The model is Versa M 340. The driver I downloaded originally came from their site for that model. Still getting 'DLL cannot be opened' from (what looks like) the .exe file.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You may need to do a windows repair to get it working

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes