We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

explorer.exe

W C Boggs

Likes # 0

Hello all, hope someone can help. Searched earlier posts but couldn't find one that sounded like mine.

Recently I saved an image from a charity website to my computer, to use as the image on my Just Giving page. AVG scanned the image at the time and did not find any problems with it. When I tried to upload it to my page the computer ground to a halt.

Since then, I have been unable to access My Pictures folder without the computer grinding to a halt and "explorer.exe" appearing in Task Manager. Have tried terminating the process (as suggested on other sites) and launching a new task, but the same happens as soon as I go anywhere near My Pictures. I have deleted the original image I saved.

I have scanned my computer with Spybot, Registry Mechanic and a full AVG virus scan, but nothing was found. Also tried a system restore to the day the problem started, but upon restarting the computer said it had been unsuccessful.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me, the easier to understand the better.

Thanks very much in anticipation.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

What was the File format? Type after you saved it and how big was it.

PS Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer, or File Explorer to give it its old name, not Internet Explorer

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

What was the File format? Type after you saved it and how big was it.

PS Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer, or File Explorer to give it its old name, not Internet Explorer

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Try using F8 and selecting "last known good configuration"

Like this post
W C Boggs

Likes # 0

@woodchip: I haven't got the image on my computer anymore, so I'm not sure what format it was saved as. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a large file (it was a logo I found via Google images).

@rawprawn: When do I use F8? I tried it at various points while the computer was starting up, but it I didn't see the option you refer to.

Thanks!

PS - Last night I carried out a "deep scan" using A-Squared anti-malware. It only hi-lighted some tracking cookies, all of which have now been quarantined.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Turn your computer OFF, the turn it on and just keep tapping F8. It should then show the options including "last known good configuration" and Safe Mode If you REALLY cannot invoke Safe Mode by pressing F8 during the boot sequence then you can make Windows boot into Safe Mode the next time you power on.

Start > Run > type msconfig and press ENTER.

Select the BOOT.INI TAB and check the /SAFEBOOT option. Click 'APPLY' and click 'OK'.

Shutdown as normal.

Power-up into Safe Mode.

Once you have achieved what you set out to do, you will have to perform the reverse procedure (unchecking /SAFEBOOT) otherwise you'll always start in Safe Mode.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

W C Boggs Sorry, please ignore my last instruction regarding BOOT Tab. It will only take you into safe mode not "last known good configuration" Perhaps try an earlier restore point.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just a guess.

Maybe the Logo also contained a Link to a Website that was either no longer available or faulty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

What's new in VR: the companies creating exciting new mixes of augmented and virtual reality

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...