We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu Camera dection problem.

Simsy

Likes # 0

Folks,

I'm dual booting, (2 different hard drives), Win 7 and Ubuntu on a fairly new computer. (Self built, just before Christmas).

The Ubuntu installation, (10.10), has stopped detecting my camera, (Canon Powershot A540), and also the Logitech webcam.

The webcam was previously detected in a "strange" way; It's a USB with combined microphone... Ubuntu couldn't see the camera, but using Skype in Ubuntu the camera worked just fine, as did the mic.

The situation now is that the mic still works, including in Skype, but the webcam doesn't, and Ubuntu can't detect the Canon camera at all.

It's obviously to do with the Ubuntu installation as all is well with the Windows installation, (thus eliminating a hardware issue), and if I boot into a live CD of Ubuntu, (the one I installed from), it detects the Camera OK.

I'm guessing that the problem is related to cameras in a generic sense, but I haven't got a clue where to start.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I would suggest upgrading to version 11.04. I find it more stable than 10.10 and have had no compatability problems using it.

If you still want to stay with your current version then you might be better off asking your question on the Ubuntu forums. They probably have more Linux experts than on these forums.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Thanks ams4127...

I didn't like 11.04.

This is the only problem I've had with 10.10. I've been using it since it was released, spent some time getting it set up with the stuff I want, so I'd like to keep with it if I can.

It's perhaps not obvious from my post, but the Still Canon camera was working OK with this before... it's not that it's never worked.

I've looked on linux forums, (and am still doing), with no joy so far.

If I need to re-install/upgrade I will eventually do so, but I'd like to avoid taht if possible!

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say that its got mixed up with you Web Cam, and Canon Camera as the Canon can be used as a Web Cam.

PS what does it do if you remove one of them?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try Having one in at a time change them over

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

At a guess, I suspect Ubuntu is not seeing your USB device(s).

I think when you plug your camera in, it's being seen as a USB device and automatically being configured as such.

Open a terminal and type this command:

sudo lsusb

and hit enter.

You'll be asked for your password; type it in and hit enter again.

Note the output on the screen.

Now plug your camera in, give it 30 seconds or so and repeat the command and see if your camera has appeared in the list.

Let us know the result.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Yes,

Camera is in the list... as is webcam... but it's not visible in any useable sense... I can't access it from Nautilus or any graphics programme.

Forgive me... but bed beckons! I'll revisit this tomorrow!

Many thanks for interest and help.

Woodchip... no that's not it. Webcam not working when it's the only thing connected. Canon camera not useable under any conditions.

Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

OK, that's sort of half good news, the possibility is then, it's not being auto-mounted.

So, close your computer down, plug the camera into the computer and turn the camera on.

Now boot your computer in the normal way and let us know the result please.

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

LastChip...

I've tried that. In fact that's what I normally do... No difference. I have tried plugging camera in, then turning it on, and the otherway round. I've tried switching camera between "viewing" and "taking" modes, (and all permutations of when to plug in, switch on, etc), with no success.

I'm at work now, so won't be able to try anything else before this evening.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Whoops... I've just re-read your last post woodchip... I may not have tried booting up with the camera connected and turned on. I'll try that tonight.

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

Hi again...

Last night I tried booting up with the camera connected and turned on. No improvement. (in fact my keyboard/mouse usb combo failed to work when I did that... possibly a fluke/red herring?)...

However, having plugged in another usb mouse, (without rebooting), I did discover that the camera could be seen in picasa, and in F-Spot photo manager, though not in "Shotwell".

I rebooted again, without the camera connected, and when I connected the camera it could, again, be seen in picasa and F-spot, (and presumably always could... I'd not tried before).

So I'm a little furtehr on, but it's not as it should be, or as it was.

I realise this is a difficult one to diagnose remotely, but I'd still appreciate any more suggestions.

Many Thanks,

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?