We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

14 updates tonight for W/7

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

There are 14 windows Updates tonight for W/7 users that download manually.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

buteman

thanks had forgotton all about windows updates, just bought a netbook today and trying to get the grips with its strange setup

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Good luck with your new Netbook hope you get it running the way you want it to.

Me" I don't know the difference between a Netbook and a laptop they look the same to me.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

buteman

i am used to building a pc and installing everything from scratch. all these automated set ups where you have no idea whats going on are a pain.

the thing is stuck on update 40 of 58 [w7 starter version]been installing it for about half an hour now, no idea what number 40 is or if the netbook is not responding but says do not turn off or remove the plug.

how long do i give it?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

sunnystaines When I bought my netbook it took about two hours to do all the updates which is why I advised getting it well before you went on holiday as the last thing you want is to be downloading that amount on what could be a slow and expensive connection. Set it to manual updates before you go and catch up when you come home.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

It could be stuck at SP1 that took ages to download for me.So maybe best leaving it for a while to see if it carries on.

I actually thought my updates were stuck as well and was going to switch it off but left it for another half hour and it started to download the rest of the updates.

Has it downloaded the rest of the updates yet it takes ages especially with SP1.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Last time I did a complete re-install with all the updates it took hours and some times there appeared to be no activity. Loads of patience required and not a good idea to start it when you need sleep.

19 updates for Vista and Office 2007.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Just a little Update warning for those of you that use Firefox.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/06/09/fake-anti-virus-cloaks-itself-to-appear-to-be-microsoft-update/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

link text

Oops sorry never came out right on that other link.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

buteman

had to pull the plug, then on restart had to pull the plug again since then been going ok.

not used to a netbook surfing the web is ok [will be main use] but installing anything is painfully slow. go as far as sp1 so far everytime i do windows updates there is always more, hope to get it all up to date today, still got the driver/system updates.

Like this post
Migwell

Likes # 0

There were 3 updates last night on my computer, then it re booted and then found a further 28.

Don't know what is going on at M/Soft but ther seem to be enjoying themselves just now with all these updates.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded