We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista to Win 7 ?

EARLR
Resolved

Likes # 0

How do I upgrade Vista to Win 7 ?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would always recommend a CLEAN install of Windows 7 but you can also upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - link text also see here link text

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

link text

The upgrade does give you a clean install, it transfers your existing copy of Windows to a new folder (which can be deleted later) and installs Win 7 from an image. It then puts all your programs and files back

But rin the compatibility test first link text

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have made several upgrade installs of Windows 7 over Vista when friends and family have asked me to and never had a problem. Just read all the notes about how to do it, get the machine ready by running CCleaner, doing a defrag and back up all your important documents, pictures, music, videos etc. before you start, you may not need the back up but it is always better to be safe than sorry later; take your time and be prepared to wait for a long time while Windows does the transfer. Depending on the amoung of data you have, the number of programmes etc it will likely take around 2 hours although I had one installation that was close to 6 hours so if you are upgrading a laptop make sure that the power lead is in and the unit is charging. I agree with northumbria61 that a clean install is best but I would not be afraid of doing an upgrade over Vista if you feel more confident with that.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Just like chub_tor I'm about to do my 5th upgrade and never had an issue, except with one Toshiba laptop where the event sounds disappeared after a Windows update. Still working on that one. But not really that important.

As I said the upgdate is a clean install in that it doesn't update existing files, but puts a fresh copy of windows on your machine. it just does it from an image, instead of installing. And you don't need to put all your apps or files back either. But I still take a full backup as advised. Another thing, I have never needed any drivers, despite downloading all I could find. But one or two do give increased functionality to those installed by windows. Just to let you know, depending on what you've got on the machine it could take many hours - the laptop mentioned was 11 hours from saying go, to getting the last Windows update. And there are many long periods of seeming inactivity. Be patient.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

chub_tor if you try doing it on a laptop on battery it tells you to plug it in, I did a friends and I thought it was plugged in but he had not switched it on at the wall and I had not notice it in the bar, I got the warning to plug it in before it will start.

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Thanks All

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite