We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Separating folders in MS Outlook

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Whilst trying to re-sort some email folders into alphabetical order, which had somehow got mixed up, I dragged them to where I wanted them to appear, only to find that they have now become a sub-folder of the adjacent folder!

How do I get them separated again?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Drag them back would seem the simplest or right click the folder and select move. Which might give you a bit more control.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Do you mean, actually sort out the emails that are in outlook or you have moved them to the harddrive

If you wish to store them on the harddrive for sorting , do the following.

Create a folder called (e.g.) Stored Email, create 26 folders (Letters of the alphabet) or as many as you choose.- Personally I would save by Subject and/or From.

Keep the folder open and open Outlook.

use TILE to show both windowson the screen.

Highlight the Emai(s) you want to move (Right Click on Email), and drag to the appropiate folder.

You now have a copy on your harddrive (test it), and you can now safely delete the one on Outlook,(if you want to).

The saved file can be opened in Word and edited like any other document, including rename.

If these are important to you, you can now save to to a Thumb drive or CD if you wish.

Terry

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Taff - I know it ought to be ridiculously easy to shift folders - - but - - each time I try to drag an out-of-sequence folder to where I want it to be, as soon as I release the mouse button, the folder attaches itself to the adjacent folder, and becomes a sub-folder!! All I want to do is to get the dragged folder to occupy its own place in the list.

Sorry if this seems a bit confused! I used to be able to do this OK with OE, but Outlook is much more of a challenge (for me!!).

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Use the right click and move option I gave you. It might also help if you widened the folder panes to give a better view.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Taff - - Yes, I think widening the folder panes would definitely help! Could you please be patient with me one more time, and tell me how to do this?

Thank you!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Are we talking about your Inbox here? Are you just dragging, for example, folder C up so it sits between folders B and D?

If you drag the folder C to the top level of the tree, ie, Inbox, it should find its rightful place.

Apologies if I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick!

Like this post  
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks exdragon! Dragging up to the top -to the very top - did the trick! Folders now where I want them!

Thanks to all! The advice is stored away! Much appreciated!

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Yimbo - apologies been away but I see you`re sorted. To resize the panes hover your mouse cursor over the borders of each pane. The cursor changes to a two way arrow. Left click and hold the button then drag the pane borders to suit.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks for your helpful information! And all your help!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014