We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell Laptop will not shut down:

sydhall

Likes # 0

Hi, Ref [Dell Mainboard: 1545] Unfortunately for me one of my Granddaughters for whom I bought the laptop only a couple of months ago? Threw a tantrum and smashed the laptop on her dressing table in temper:

I have stripped the laptop down and replaced the base: I have also fitted a reconditioned board plus several other parts: and re-assembled it.

Unfortunately despite putting the laptop back to factory defaults : it will not close down? It appears to do so and immediately reboots.

I have done all the usual bios checks\\; plus unlocking the automatic restart option in advanced properties: plus several others.

I would be grateful for any help?

Syd

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

First thought - is Wake up on LAN enabled in the BIOS? This might be one possible cause, although that should only happen if the laptop is in Hibernate or Sleep rather than off.

Second thought - some viruses have been known to keep the machine active, you might do a virus and malware check.

Like this post
sydhall

Likes # 0

chub_tor

Have already done both:

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Stuck pwr button?

Like this post
sydhall

Likes # 0

No: Will power off if you press the power button

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say the Motherboard as got a problem, as that is what controls it all

Like this post
sydhall

Likes # 0

I think possibly it may be a command problem: it would seem when i ask the laptop to shut down? It takes the restart option instead:

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'