We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD flick/MKV files

hiwatt

Likes # 0

Hi folks.I use dvd flick to burn various files to dvd.The thing is it takes a long long time to encode and then burn to disc?It's usually AVI files but I'm trying to burn MKV files(2 files,both 45 minutes long and 1.9gb each)and it's taking around 6-7 hours to encode/burn?I was wondring if anyone here uses dvd flick or if there is a better alternative?Thank you.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Flick does not burn it uses Imgburn and the burn time is minimal its only the converting and authoring that takes the time. Those are large files to convert and doubt if there would be anything much faster . A full 2 hour 4.5 G/byte dvd only takes around 15/20mins at X4 to burn

Like this post
ashdav

Likes # 0

Converting video formats depends on the spec of your CPU. It's just number crunching so if you've got a single core (Pentium/Celeron) then it can take hours. Dual core then an hour or so. Quad core 22mins ish.

Like this post
hiwatt

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info folks.Can I ask what the difference is between burning direct to dvd and creating an ISO file?Would I not still have to burn the ISO file to dvd to be able to watch it?

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

creating an Iso first is the safest way to go reasons you can then check it is watchable (yes you can watch an Iso on the PC) it will behave exactly like a dvd albeit you may need something like VLC player free .. Also if it not watchable you have not wasted a disc . If the iso is ok then you can just burn to dvd when needed and that as I said earlier is only a matter of minutes rather than hours.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

I can't see the reason to change the file to an ISO file? Why not just watch the file to see if it's watchable as a MKV file using VLC player.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Why not get one of these WD TV LiveI have one and they are brilliant.No need to convert to DVD anymore just load files onto a usb memory stick plug into player and go.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

agreed he could just watch the MKV on vlc but the OP was about putting it on dvd using dvd flickand the time taken

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

Try Freemake Video Converter available from PCA Downloads link text

It is fast and reliable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?