We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What's being downloaded?

TN

Likes # 0

Yesterday and to-day I have been receiving continuous downloads which I have been stopping by disconnecting from the Internet. As soon as I reconnect the download starts again! I have Comodo firewall installed and it is active but is there any method that a download can be identified? I am running Windows 7 professional and Opera as my browser. I have stacks of room on my hard disk but there are no new programmes being installed or showing on my programme list. This has only happened previously when a Windows Update was being downloaded but I've never had one that took days to down load - the download speed is around 900 kbps. Any help or advise would be appreciated as I am fed up disconnecting and reconnecting especially when it has no effect.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It could be a big update for your AntiVirus program.

Have you tried Taskmanager .processes.And under CPU it will tell you what programs are using up the CPU.

If nothing running System idle process should show about 96% if anything else let us know what.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

You have Comodo firewall installed what Anti-virus and what anti-malware programs have you got.

Like this post
TN

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman - there are no big items in task manager - just a few small ones which I recognize. The anti-virus is also comodo (Internet security suite). The ant virus could not be going on as long as this - a few days ago I got a download of SP1 for |Windows 7 and it only took an hour or so to download. as this is now into its second day, even allowing for my disconnections etc., I have no idea what on earth it could be!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I got a download of SP1 for |Windows 7.

Normally that will install on shut down and finish when you boot up the computer, If it is that svchost.exe would be showing up using a lot of the CPU in Task Manager.

It took me ages updating SP1 so it may be that.

No security suite will stop everything so maybe give MalwareBytes free version a run just to make sure your computer is clean.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED