We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 Backup

m800afc

Likes # 0

I have an 80Gb SSD as my system (C) drive. At the moment there is 21.2Gb free of 74.4Gb. I tried to setup W7 Backup, but was astonished to read a message saying that the backup would need 303.7Gb of free disc space on the destination drive. What is going on that needs that much space? Surely there has got to be a less "hungry" way of making a backup.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

what size partition are you setting the backup to

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

The destination drive (D) is 1Tb total. There is an unused partition (Z) which has 87.8Gb total free. I would have thought that files amounting to 53Gb total should fit onto a 87.8Gb partition. I am using W7 Pro.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you use something like Paragon (free), that will compress the backup into much less (27Mb in my case).

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Have just checked my C drive backup and the folder size is approx 66% of total used on C using Windows 7 backup. When you first set it up it suggests the best backup location. Are you sure you have ticked just the C drive as by default it will include your libraries in the backup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014