We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new laptop screen goes white

adesu
Resolved

Likes # 0

I just bought a new screen on Ebay and installed it with out any difficulty. However on starting it up the top half of the screen is quite bright while the bottom half is completely dark. That disappears and the windows XP screen appears as normal but after approx 35 - 40 secs it disappears and and a bright screen slowly appears with a pattern of faded dots in the background and a few coloured vertical lines running down it. Would anybody please have the remotest idea as to what the problem would be? I have linked it to an external monitor and everything works fine. If it’s not the screen, what else could it be?. Your advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
rossgolf

Likes # 0

If you say it works ok linked to an external monitor then the only real problem is the screen

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

With a bit of luck it will be a connection problem so you might want to check again the installation when you changed the screen. But why did you change the screen in the first place?

Like this post
adesu

Likes # 0

I dropped the laptop and broke the screen. I'll check again the installation. I just find it strange that it starts up fine then fades away. Thank you for both the replies.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

looks like you should return it

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you dropped it then it is quite possible that you have loosened a component such as a connector that goes to the laptop screen but not to the external display port. When you check your installation again pay careful attention to make sure that all the connections are good. When you are certain that you have checked everything if it still has the white screen problem then follow Woodchip's advice and return the screen to the eBay supplier.

Like this post  
adesu

Likes # 0

Thank you all for your advice. I've checked the connections and they seem fine. I think the only option is to return it. Thanks again. Regards

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015