We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Dongle

Braniff

Likes # 0

Hello,

I am moving home and am changing provier and will be without the internet for a while. I am not very good at all this technical stuff and would like some simple advice if possible please. If I buy a broadband dongle will that give me access to the internet and how does it work if my home has no access?

Thanks

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

It uses the mobile phone network. First thing would be to check which provider gives the best coverage in your area. Vodafone, O2 etc all have a coverage checker on their websites.

Like this post
Braniff

Likes # 0

I have found that O2 and Orange are the best in that area. Do I just buy one and put it in pc and thats it? I would need it for a bout 2 months.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Just dont expect lightning fast downloads, especially at peak times.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

You buy a USB dongle, and, typically, with it a certain amount of download capacity. Last time I did this, I think it was about £20 - 25 for 3Gig. Then, when that runs out, you typically top up the dongle (you don't have to buy the dongle itself again) for about £5 less than you paid originally.

It can be surprisingly effective: my son plays World of Warcraft when his landline goes down, and finds it OK.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

T-Mobil use a Dongle called Web n Walk No Idea of the Cost I have used my Daughters when away from home

We'n'Walk link

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Just dont expect lightning fast downloads, especially at peak times.

Not all are bad Cellular Speed Test

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Have used one just to keep in touch with emails when I moved 8 months ago. Works but don't expect to stream videos etc., For filling the gap it's ok.

Like this post
gel

Likes # 0

I am in a similar situation regarding moving house

I purchased a 3i dongle aprox £20 which gave 1GB and lasts 1 month

I then took the dongle with my lap top to the area and stayed in my touring caravan searching properties

The dongle was very good and is very economic when used for emailing web searching etc but I think that it may be expensive if used for down loading music etc You get up to date usage and remaining availability and if you run out it can be updated on line for £9 which gives an extra 1GB

I found it very useful but I think the reception may be best whilst out of doors in a car or a caravan I hope this helps If I can hep further post a question gel

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

You wanna try Three.co.uk's "All You Can Eat" Data Plan.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015