We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reinstall Win 7

Ollyolly
Resolved

Likes # 0

My PC has just died. As it's getting long in the tooth I think I'll purchase a new one.

If I buy a new PC without an OS can I use my existing Win 7 disc legally to reinstall onto the new PC?

After all I would still only be using the one installation of Win 7.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

If it's the retail version, yes. If it's an OEM version, you might have issues - but probably not. Oh, and it's need to be the full version, I'd guess, if you're planning to install it on a PC with no OS at all - if it's the upgrade version, you may struggle, unless you have a copy of e.g XP that you can install first. Reactivating it may be a pain, as your hardware configuration will have changed dramatically, so MS will think you're running it on a second PC. Do-able, though.

Like this post
Ollyolly

Likes # 0

Thnaks Ian.

I have the full retail version disc.

I asked the question as I thought with a new hardware configuration there may be a problem.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Yep - the 'problem' will just be when you come to activate/reactivate it - but it really shouldn't be a big issue. I'd guess you'll need to activate via phone, rather than online, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Like this post
kristain

Likes # 0

Hi,

Before performing the clean reinstallation of Windows 7 Operating System you need to check the power connection. Power supply failure would result in failure reinstallation of Windows 7. Thereby you may lose time. By keeping the system battery fully charged, you can prevent the power failure problem to an extent. Before starting the system, you need to check the power circuit connection for your system as well.

Like this post
Ollyolly

Likes # 0

Ian,

Thought I would let you know I entered my activation code (20 or so letters and numbers) and they were accepted straight away. I'm guessing I could only do that a limited number of times before Microsoft would get anoyed.

Thanks for your replies.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers