We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Duplicated data between two computers

frappy

Likes # 0

I purchased a new Desktop (Windows 7 - Windows Live Mail 2011)) and transferred emails/contacts from my Laptop (Windows 7 - Windows Live Mail 2011)along with photos/music. The Laptop is now used by my wife who has her own email account and contacts. Her contacts appear on the Desktop and if I try to remove them they are removed from the Laptop. Likewise if she removes my contacts - still on the Laptop, they disappear from the Desktop. How can this be resolved? Would this affect all other transferred data?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Check that you are not just sharing folders across your network instead of duplicating on the other computer.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

frappy, when you were using WLM on the laptop, were you always signed in to the Windows Live service? If you were, and you're also signed in with the same Live user account on the desktop, you'll be sharing the same (cloud-based) contacts list.

If any of that sounds possible then check WLM on your wife's laptop:

In the "Home" tab of the toolbar Ribbon, look at the icon on the far right-hand side. If it's grey and says "Sign In" then my hunch is wrong and you can disregard my advice. If on the other hand it shows a user is logged in, either sign out or ensure it's signed in with your wife's Live ID (if she has one).

Like this post
frappy

Likes # 0

S-S.......thanks for the tip, I had to "book in" the wife to Windows Live ID but when actioned her contacts were not available. However, I imported them somehow and got all mine as well which since I've deleted. I checked to see if any of mine disappeared of the Desktop - all is fine. Thanks again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?