We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Quicken on Windows 7

douglas1973

Likes # 0

In your March 2011 edition (How to: Helproom, page 103) a reader describes how to use Quicken 2004 in Windows 7. He recommends copying the entire Quicken folder from Program Files on an XP or Vista computer to Windows 7. I have done this and it works brilliantly except that there is no sound when one enters any type of transaction, etc. despite the fact that the sub folder "Sound" is included in the Quicken folder that I have copied. I suppose that I could live without sound in Quicken but the familiar sounds made when one enters a transaction, etc. are reassuring and I would like to have them. Can anyone suggest how I can resurect them?

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

I am sorry I don't know how to resurect sounds, all I will say is that I have been using Quicken for about 15 years now, and have never needed or used sounds and don't see the need for them. Quicken works perfectly adequately in silence!

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

douglas1973

I have it running in Win 7 and my sounds are fine. I installed my copy from the original disc. I have noticed that it says the sound files will open with Windows Media Player. Are yours set to play via WMP as well or are they set to the programme that opened them in XP? Equally so, have you set Quicken to run in the XP compatibility mode?

TonyV

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

douglas1973

Also, go to Edit/Preferences/Quicken Programme/Setup/ then make sure "Turn on Quicken Sounds" is checked.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
douglas1973

Likes # 0

Housten: I did say that I could live without sound in Quicken but regrettably I am one of those silly people who likes to have things just right. I am too old to mend my ways now!(77) Thanks, nevertheless, for your input.

TonyV: Although I have an original Quicken Release 2 CD 2004 I did not use it to install Quicken in Windows 7. I copied all the files in Quicken intalled on my second hard drive and pasted them to my main drive. Perhaps I should do as you have done - I will try it.

When I double click one of the Quicken sound file on my main drive the sound plays in Windows Media Player.

No, I stupidly had not set Quicken to run in Windows XP compatibility mode but now have done so but I still get no sounds.

Sounds are turned on in my Quicken in Windows 7.

I think I will try and reinstall Quicken 2004 as you have described and see if I have success in obtaining sounds. Many thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...