We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CMOS Batteries - Why aren't they easy to replace

mehim
Resolved

Likes # 0

This thread is prompted by SparkyJacks If they need replacing why can't they be easily replaced? Surely a little cover, accessed by one screw or a coin slot, marked CMOS Battery and instructions in the manual could avoid a lot of hassle for the less compuer minded and of course cost.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Reasonably easy on a desktop but I hate the way some laptops seem to hide them, under the keyboard for instance, an absolute nightmare when trying to change them.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Agreed. But even for desktops they could arrange it so as not to take the cover off.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It's to force you to inside to see all the link textdirt

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

So, is it just a con to milk money out of the people frightened of the grey box or is there a genuine reason?

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Probably down to cost. The battery is long lived, certainly exceeding the warranty by several years usually, so to make it user replaceable would be very costly.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Little covers, screws, coin slots all cost money either in parts or the cost of the tooling to produce those parts and as mooly says, the life of the battery is much longer than the warranty. When the manufacturer is designing his latest laptop one of his criteria will be to make the design easily upgradeable so that model variations using the same tooling can be produced. That means easy access to the memory and the hard drive, possibly the WI-Fi card for models with and without Bluetooth. Those justify the extra parts and tooling costs. The last thing on his mind will be the placement of the CMOS battery which will be situated on the motherboard for convenience to associated circuit parts and for easy assembly on the production line. Just about all motherboards use the same type of battery so variations from model to model do not have be catered for and there is no money in it for the manufacturer in supplying replacements for exhausted batteries several years down the line. Just like cars, laptops are designed for a price point and the design is governed more by what is best for the manufacturer than what is desirable for the end user. It all boils down to money in the end; when comparing laptop features would you pay more for a model with a replaceable battery cover? I don't think I would.

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I'd guess a significant number of people will also buy new machines instead, since they will assume their 3, 4 or 5 yr old model is on its last legs.

And that's just reminded me, my 7 yr old desktop still on its original battery.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Thank you all.

chub_tor, that all makes sense, though to the uninformed it still seems strange not to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more