We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

win 7 and wireless issues

Lestat.

Likes # 0

I have windows 7 64bit and a linksys wireless adapter. What happens is when i turn desktop on the internet connects fine and then 1 or 2 mins later it disconnects and i cant get the internet. when i check the status of the connection its at 13.5mbps then 1 min later its at 300.0 mbps and im connected back to the internet and all is working fine and it remains that way for the rest of the session till i restart the computer.From what i can gather this is a OS problem. Router is ok with laptops with win7 and xp both wireless. This is not a serious problem but is annoying. It looks to me as if a service is starting then stopping then starting again (i dont know).. Any help would be greatly appreciated ... thanks in advance

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Do you have the latest drivers installed for the linksys wireless adapter?

Like this post
Lestat.

Likes # 0

Yes downloaded and installed latest drivers even contatcted linksys regarding the problem to see if there was a known issue with the linksys adapter.

Like this post
Lestat.

Likes # 0

sorry for double post ... i think the problem is an os problem ...the adapter stays connected to the router but not the internet .. sometimes the wireless internet access icon in the icon tray says limited access .. also there is not enough time to run a diagnostic on the problem

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Could be a bad driver is the driver new?

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

What is the model number of the linksys adapter?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 1

This is common, first thing to check is your security settings.... Most new routers will default to WPA win 7 64 bit for some bizarre reason does not like this, so first thing to try is security settings.

Go back to WEP first, then see if your connection is steady. Then we can ramp it up a bit. I had the same issues with a recently installed Draytek router / modem.

If WEP works, then I will post a workaround for you, or email me........I still have not got the hang of the new site yet!

Like this post
Lestat.

Likes # 0

Hey Crosstrainer2 .. i followed your suggestion and your right changed the sercurity to wep and it now stays connected.. i will get in contact with you if i can find your email

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Peter has my email, but it's jeffrey53@talktalk.Net

Without the caps at the end. Recoding all night so please excuse the typos!

Like this post
Lestat.

Likes # 0

Thanks crosstrainer2 and thanks to you too ICF for your prompt reply ..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July