We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless issues with BT

GBL
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am currently having wireless isssues with BT infinity, my lap top and mobile fail to connect yet there are no problems being hard wired.

Like this post
SB23

Likes # 0

I've just had my father in law on the phone with the same problem again.

This happens every few weeks, and it drives him nuts. Last time I went to his house I was browsing within minutes, but BT blame his laptop every time, which I know is not the case. He's ringing the helpline again, so I expect I'll be driving over there on Sunday, lol!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If he uses a Laptop and just shuts the lid it may not Wake up the Wireless connection when he opens the lid and restarts, I used to have one like that

PS also if it disconnects while you are using the Laptop it could be that you are using it on Battery and power settings in Device Manager for wireless are set to shut down after it not used for a bit. I also had that problem

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

BT Infinity is the new high speed broadband and usuallyh comes with an N router. Is it possible that your laptop and mobile are having problems connecting at this speed? You might want to check their wireless speed to see if it is a/g and then change the setting of the BT HomeHub to connect at their speed and not a higher one.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

I should have said that it is an intermittent fault, sometimes if I reset the wireless on the Router ir works.Yes it is the N router but I had no problem before I upgraded to Infinity.Three different laptops have the same problem.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Look here and here these may or may not relate to you as they are for the HomeHub 2. I have the HH3 but not with infinity sad to say and have had no problem connecting with a wide variety of devices.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've just cured a similar fault on my desktop by updating the wireless adaptor drivers.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Thanks to all, some food for thought in your replies.It is an intermitent problem, the laptop states, Conected, but there is no internet. All is OK when hard wired through a home plug adapter so it must be the signal or drivers. Again it was fine before Infinity and it is the same BT homehub, as it is the latest one.

I haven't rang BT as I have more faith with this forum.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Can't really offer any real advice on this, just some thoughts...

I have the BT HomeHub (V2) and over the last couple of weeks have been caught out with the connection dropping. I'm connected wirelessly and lose internet connectivity (the globe dissapears from the icon) but am still connected OK to the HH. Even a reset of the HH, or removing power and rebooting the HH fails to bring the connection back. The lights on the HH show no problem and that broadband is "connected". This on one occasion lasted 20 minutes and then the connectivity came back on its own.

I can only conclude it was/is in this case something BT have been doing. The times this happened have always been through the day, usually early afternoon. For the last few days this hasn't happened at all. Speedtests using speedtest.net appear to have shown a slight increase in speeds recently, now approaching 17mbs consistently.

If you are connected OK to HH I can't really see how it can be a driver issue... yet you say you can connect direct and it works.

Maybe you could ask on the dedicated BT forum...

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room