We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advent Roma 200 won't boot

RoA

Likes # 0

I have an Advent Roma 2000 laptop which can only be booted by using the f12 button. If power is switched on and it is left it will boot as far as the Advent logo page. The boot progress box at the bottom of the page will complete to about the three quarters level, hold for a few seconds, and then the laptop crashes. It then attempts to reboot and this boot/crash cycle will continue endlessly unless I hit the f12 button before it crashes. This takes me into the Boot Menu. Whichever drive option (SATA HDD, SATA CD, USB HDD) I choose seems to allow the laptop to fully boot. I have googled the problem but can find no one with a similar problem. Is there anyone out there that has had this problem or can give me some advice? Any help or assistance gratefully received. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Don't know if it is relevant but the BIOS is Phoenix (?SecureCore) version 1.05D. Processor is Celeron. Many thanks.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

When you switch on your computer, immediately start tapping the F8 key - keep on tapping it until the computer (hopefully!) boots into the Windows Advanced Options Menu (white lettering on a black screen).

On this menu, one of the choices should be 'Last Known Good Configuration'. Using the up/down arrow keys, highlight this option, then hit Enter.

If you're lucky, Windows will find the settings that last worked and start up.

The above may or may not work - it depends what the fault is. But it's the first thing to try.

Like this post
RoA

Likes # 0

Thanks Pineman10 but f8 key does not give me any options - laptop just goes into the crash and attempted reboot routine.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Are you getting any noises from your hard drive? Is the drive light showing any activity?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. remove refit hard drive and retry (remakes connections)
    1. Tap F5 during boot and try a startup repair
Like this post
RoA

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies and apologies for slow resonse - I have been away for a couple of weeks. Pineman: I get a gentle whirring sound from the HD before it crashes. Fruit Bat: I have done this as you suggest but to no avail.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Would you say that the whirring sound is the same as it's always been - i.e. normal disk activity?

There are no clicking sounds?

Like this post
RoA

Likes # 0

Yes - sounds perfectly normal.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

OK, I think you need to try and initiate a Startup Repair from the your Windows 7 disc or from your recovery disc (assuming you made one).

Look at the following Microsoft article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Scroll down to below the picture of the System Recovery Options Menu and click on the line that says "To open the System Recovery options menu using the Windows 7 installations disk or a USB flash drive or a system repair disc". The line will open up into a set of instructions for you to follow.

It's always good practice to make a full backup of your data before undertaking a repair of this type, but as you can't access your drive that looks difficult. The repair procedure shouldn't damage any of your data, but it's always best to be belt-and-braces if you can.

If you regularly backup anyway, then you're well covered.

Like this post
RoA

Likes # 0

I've tried the sytem recovery procedure as you outline but no joy. Incidentally I can boot up and access the laptop but but it is just that I have to go through the f12 - Boot Menu procedure every time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Enter BIOS set HDD as first boot device, save and exit (F10)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features