We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB 2 Power Hub

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi

Would my PC have to already have USB 2 output, to enable me to use a USB 2 Power Hub?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I followed you link and did the following...

"Note In the Other Devices location, the USB Host controller entry is labeled Universal Serial Bus controller with a yellow exclamation mark." (actually mine had a yellow question mark)

"Click Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next. Click Finish when installation is finished."

I haven't rebooted, because I wasn't asked to. I went bacvk into 'Device Manager' where it now shows 'Standard enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller'. I clicked on 'Properties' and it said "this device is working properly". I plugged in my 1T external HDD and got the same message as usual...'This device can perform faster on a high speed Blah, Blah...Click here for a list of ports' I duly clicked and under 'Standard enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller' shown in bold type was 'USB Root Hub (6 Ports)'. I was then instructed to remove the device and plug it into one of the shown 6 ports.

On my PC there are 6 ports, at the back. 2 are integral to the motherboard and the other 4 are on a card. Then there are two more on the front of the PC. Which ever port I try it says the same thing, as above?!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

It is quite possible that your XP cannot handle a 1Tb drive, not all can.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I have an 80G external HDD, I'll try that.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I think you've hit the nail on the head and saved me saome money as well. The 80G was smooth as silk. I can't tell you how many times I've got to this position, but every time I was trying it with the big drive. It never dawned on me that the PC couldn't handle it.

Although strangely it runs fine in USB 1.1, except for the message regarding USB 2?

Still, I only got that drive to use on a new PC that I ordered from MESH. Unfortunately they went bust before I got it. Now I'm up to my neck in claims. I can't get my money back from the credit card people because I used a debit card. It would be good if I could get some of the £600 back, although I'd still rather have the PC. The USB ports on there would have been USB 3, backward compatible cool. :¬)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I am waiting for your new Thread, asking us why one of your PCs will not Download Windows Updates.

2 PCs, 1 Copy of Windows XP.

The first one to Register will be the default PC, you could then be expected to have problems with the other, when you try to Register it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I have already registered them both?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

"I have already registered them both?"

Actually, no I haven't, I have 'Activated them both', they told me registering was optional. They gave me a list of extras I would get if i registered, but I didn't see anything there of interest to me. So I didn't bother. But I am still getting updates on both PC's?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do