We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB 2 Power Hub

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi

Would my PC have to already have USB 2 output, to enable me to use a USB 2 Power Hub?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

No, but it would only work at the slower USB 1 speed.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Or if it is a Desktop, you could add a USB2 PCI card, very cheap, or if a Laptop, a USB2 PCIA Card.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Nontek

So would the same thing apply if I installed a USB 2 card? Or would a card come with USB 2 drivers?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

See my link above - a USB2 card would give you full USB2 capabilities.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

To make it clearer, a USB2 Card would give your USB2 Powered Hub full USB2 capabilities.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You should also check whether you already have USB2 built-in (whether Desktop or Laptop) - Right-click on My Computer then Properties>Hardware>Device Manager and expand USB Serial Bus Controllers, if you then see the word enhanced anywhere at all, you have USB2 built-in.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I see what you mean. They are cheap, until you add half as much again for postage. Which although it still doesn't make it expensive, I just feel they can't weigh that much?

However, I have two Destop PC's. I installed WinXP in both, from the same disk and the installation was identical. The only difference is that the basic make up of one is a higher spec than the other. The lower spec one has USB2, but the higher spec one doesn't and I just can't get my head around the reason. Especially as the high spec one has the 'usbehci' driver. That is why I'm looking at taking this route.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

When I said it has the driver, it does, but it doesn't show in 'Device Manager'

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

link text This might help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)