We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

why Do I need to run an anti virus scan

arthurb

Likes # 0

I have McAfee anti virus and firewall, every ten days or so I do a full scan, which has never found any problems. Is this because the real time scanning is providing sufficient protection and preventing any malware? Is the full scan necessary?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

The reason is that it is quite possible for someone to ignore the warnings from the Real Time scanner and download a Virus.

The real Time Scanner does not stop you downloading a Virus, it tells you that you may be at risk of downloading one, it is quite possible for one to override this warning (Teenagers are very prone to doing this when downloading Files from Torrents)so a proper Scan is recommended.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

May I add...Update your Virus defention daily.

It's like having sex without a...

Nope I wont last long her if I post this stuff but you get the idea.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I've used McAfee for a number of years and a full scan on the default settings used to take 2/3 hours, but since they revamped the software a while ago a full scan can take all day - most inconvenient.

Like this post
arthurb

Likes # 0

Thank you. Now I understand why nothing has been found. I am going to stop scanning the files with McAfee and use another product instead, this should find anything that gets past McAfee. Belt and braces.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

No Arthur B. Do not try to install 2 Anti Virus Programs on one PC.

Neither one will work and there is a considerable likelihood that your PC will crash. It's not a Belt and Braces thing ~ Each AV program will think that the other is a Virus.

McAfee is very good.

The length of time required to Scan a Disk depends on many things including: How much is stored on the Disk. What is being done while the Scan is running. How many Disks are to be Scanned.

To mention just a few of the reasons.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You may consider scanning with Malawarebytes or (In my view a bit better)Superantispyware,(SAS) ; both are free anti malware programmes that should not interfere with the anti virus. I find SAS gets rid of tracking cookies very well.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

arthurb - just to clarify - more than one antiMALWARE prog is OK in conjunction with only ONE antiVIRUS prog.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...