We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Sharing - without messing up my IP addresses?

spacebawl

Likes # 0

Built-in "Internet sharing" on windows 7 / XP messea up my IP adress structure - I cant access my NAS etc.

I have tried running a proxy eg: analog x proxy. But not all my devices work with proxy connections.

Is there a third way?: Keep my existing network IP structure AND share my internet across my home network?

Thanks for any advice folks.

Like this post
spacebawl

Likes # 0

Thanks for yout interest! here's the household setup:

Netgear wifi router wgr614: 192.168.0.1 2 x wired Windows XP computers 1 and 2 (My render farm!) attached by cables to netgear wifi router ips = 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3

internet suuplied via T-mobile wifi dongle working on XP computer 1 192.168.0.2 (It's all I've got while moving house)

3 x laptops (various os) attached through wifi via netgear wifi router, ips - 192.168.0.4, 192.168.0.5,192.168.0.6 (Laptop 3 is running a weird art project not compatible with proxies) Nabaztag Wifi Bunny 192.168.0.7 - claims she is ok with proxies, but isn't really.

If you own a Nabaztag Wireless Bunny, you will realise how hard life can be without one...

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Internet Connection Sharing" must use the 192.168.0.0 Subnet - the network adapter that connects to the 'client' computer will be given the address 192.168.0.1 by Windows and the client's network adapter will get an address by DHCP between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254

Unfortunately, Netgear routers also use this same Subnet by default. What you need to do is to change the Subnet used by the Netgear router. Its own address will be 192.168.0.1 so you need to change the third octet (number) of its IP address to something other than "0". If you change it to "1", giving an IP address of 192.168.1.1 it will then allocate addresses from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254, thus avoiding a conflict with Internet Connection Sharing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...