We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC running slow - delayed write failed problem

HeyAsh22

Likes # 0

Hey I was hoping someone could help me try solve a problem with my PC. About a month ago the hard drive packed up and we got it repaired and had a new one fitted. Everything has been going fine up until a few days ago.

We had a powercut and my PC was on at the time running several programs - iTunes, a game and Firefox. When the power came back on I was able to startup the PC and I didn't notice anything wrong. Then the problems started. I was running 2-3 programs then the PC froze and the blue screen dump came up before the computer restarted. Once again on startup I didn't notice anything wrong.

Then more problems came a few hours after. Initially I would try to save my Football Manager 2011 game and I would get a message within the game saying - Game can not be saved. At the same time a message would appear in the bottom right on the taskbar:

**"Windows Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all the data for the file H\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."**

I kept getting the same message appear but for different files after this. I restated the PC and there would be error messages on my login screen about corrupt files. If I logged in it would take 15-20 for everything to startup (when I am used to it taking no more than a couple of mins). I tried starting in safe mode, but it froze.

I looked online (from another PC) and I found a solution to the Windows Delayed Write Failed problem on the Microsoft website. The solution was to uncheck - Enable Writing Caching on the Disc (within Local H:/ - Properties - Policies). This seemed to have worked but straight away I noticed the PC was a lot slower than before.

I thought I would repair the operating system so I put in the Windows XP CD and did that. I haven't had any problems but the computer is much slower than before, I have had the Delayed Write Fail message appear once in the bottom right.

I have just updated iTunes to v10.3.1 and the installation took ages, longer than I thought it would. Now I got it running, I keep getting a message pop up - "The iTunes library can not be saved. The required file is locked." Everytime I click OK, it keeps popping back up. I looked in my music folder and whilst all the folders are read-only, the actual files are not. Even when I close iTunes now, it takes a while as it pops up with - Saving iTunes library - something I didn't get on the older versions.

I have searched online all over for all the inidividual problems. I read stuff about iTunes, Football Manager, the disk caching, power cuts, but I am assuming its not coincidence that they have all occured at the same time. Anyone able to give me some advise?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Hard drives /

i) IDE Channels: (Not required if you have SATA drives) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO. Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab - If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=61905 to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

ii) If you are using Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7 it's a good idea to convert your system drive to the NTFS file system if you have not already. In addition to providing numerous security and data recovery improvements over FAT32 (the file system of choice for Windows 9x/ME and XP Home) it can also speed up your system slightly.

In fact, the only real reason for sticking with the FAT32 file system for any of your data is if you have more than one operating system on your PC and the other OS's can only see FAT32 partitions (as would be the case with Windows 98, for example, which is incapable of reading NTFS data).

To convert your drives to NTFS: Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage' From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.' Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information. Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Re-enable Write Caching

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Contactless payments to launch on London public transport this year

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

NASA offers free 3D models of satellites, probes and planets for 3D printing and animation projects