We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pcworld backup dvd

sunnystaines
Resolved

Likes # 0

get mixed info from pcworld. last week one store helper said you cannot upgade the ram to 2gb on the samsung nf110 on pcworld sold netbooks they are not compatable with 2gb of RAM, today i was told you can and that it will have the latest bios update.

but if we want factory settings dvd backup it will cost an extra £30-£40 is he ripping me off, do samsung not come with backup dvd?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Hi old freind, sadly PC world and Samsung kind of have you overa barrel, you can download and update the BIOS yourself from the Samsung site, then go to Crucial or similar (can't work out how to put links in the new site yet) and then install the ram yourself.

Crucia should identify the model correctly, so best advice I can give is backup the lot and do it yourself.

PC World will charge you a foryune for the ram as well.

Glad you are still here!

CT

Jeff

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Thanks was thinking similar, i was wondering if they were trying to charge for the dvd that should be included anyway.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Yep, that's the way they do things....Unless you have a backup partiton (you should) on the lappy. It's how they make £££

If you have Acronis TI that won't help either as the registry will change. But if you backup you crtical data, install the new memory, then (sadly) reinstall all the programmes.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used toothpick from them.

Let us know how you get on!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Shouldn't you be using the Samsung Recovery Solution to create an image of your disc? See Samsung Recovery

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer 2 - it's a netbook and may not have a backup partition.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Hello to another old mate! That will only work if the Lappy was purchased from Samsung, or another smaller retailer. It sucks. and all that re-installation is a real pain. But even if the ram was purchased from Crucial, PC World would refuse to install it.

I'm amazed....You are all still here! :))

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The specs for the Samsung state that Samsung Recovery Solution is installed. It should work.

Agree that PC World will not install the RAM. I've used Mr Memory link textfor RAM without any problems. It would seem that you have to take out the 1 Gb and replace with a 2 Gb module.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can also download different versions of the Recovery Solution.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Yep just had a look, but PC World have a "Special" way of doing thngs. Worth a try, And MM is a good source for ram.

Backup first and try. This thing I'm running now is 64Bit Win 7 with 128GB ram, two Radeon 5840 CArds (so four in total) I use it for music vids and high end music editing via a Roland Desk.

It's another beast, but I built it myself. I know not everyone can do this but I encourage all to try.

Mistakes are how we learn, and if in doubt, this is the place to ask before you connect something to the wrong socket. Hard to do these day's though.

BTW PSU = 1.5 GW

Back to the ipad for a while!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Is needing BIOS update a red herring? I have never heard of that for a memory upgrade. Mind you I don't have a netbook.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks