We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need help – windows 7 will only work in safe mode

quod12

Likes # 0

I turned on my pc one morning and it froze will booting into windows 7. I booted into safe mode with networking and then tried rebooting normally but still had the same problem. I’ve done a full restore with a windows installation disk but that froze at the ‘installing updates’ stage. I’ve also done an image restore with Macrium Reflect but that too freezes while windows boots up. I’ve done all the suggested fixes with the windows 7 WinRE and tried restoring the MBR. The RAM is ok and tried a new hard drive but windows still freezes, changed pc battery and all USB’s are out. Has anyone got any ideas as I am now out of them? Please help.

Thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its still under Warranty, I suggest you return it. It sounds like a Bad Hard Drive

Like this post
kalignorgna

Likes # 0

in safe mode click the windows sign to bring up the menu then in the type box type in chkdsk c: /r

if this does not work download hirens http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd and make a bootable cd

once the cd is made use it to run a integrity check on your hard drive

Like this post
quod12

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies but I've tried a new hard drive and still have the same problems.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Try this:

1) If the PC IS under warranty, take it back.

2) If not, and your not worried about taking them apart.....

a) Disconnect the PC from the mains

b) open the case

c) remove all memory chips, clean with a light fine paintbrush

d) do the same for the graphics card

e) make sure the hard drive cable is secure (remove and replace.

f) Clean the fans in the case, and make sure they are working

Then put it all back together, boot from your installation DVD and try again.

Post back with results :))

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

If its OK in save mode then it sounds like a problem with one of the drivers.

Start with the video (graphics driver) uninstall it in safe mode reboot into normal mode, if it boots then update the driver.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Good advice, another old forum user found too!

I think if a clean re-installation fails then a strip down is called for after taking the steps you prescribed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote