We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running an O/S from CD/DVD?

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Some years ago I purchased a Linux magazine the included a disk the allowed Linux to run from the disk without actually installing the O/S onto the computer.[I no longer have it]

What sort of disk is/was that and can I make/burn one from an ISO file?

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

Most Linux distributions will run from the install disc or a USB stick. I prefer the USB stick as it is much faster than a CD. Have a look at Unetbootin ( http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ ) for a program which will create a bootable USB stick. The program also downloads many of the common distributions for you or you can use an ISO already on your pc.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Agreed. I've got about 3 or 4 linux boot/installation CDs including Ubuntu, Suze, Red Hat etc.

Just find a site, download an iso and burn. PC mags such as PCA always used to include them on cover DVDs - I don't know if they still do as I haven't used any magazine cover disc for yonks.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

That was quick thank you.

Next question

I downloaded Mint10.

Ran ISO Buster to unpack it.

Used CD Burner XP Pro to burn it.

Here I found that although the file was is extensive - when copied[dragged] to the burn window - it only partially transferred.

I also note you both seemed to me to intimate the thing could run from the ISO file itself-

Did I read that aright?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You are getting it wrong, a Linux Live CD does not run from the Disc. It loads to Computer Memory. that's why you need at least 512 Meg for it to run Windows will not run like this, it should and will run from solid State Memory, but CDRW is not fast enough to write to

Linux Live List

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Woodchip is right, but the other instructions above are correct, but when you burn the disk, it MUST be in ISO bootable format. I've got Ubuntu running on a really old PC ( so old I couldn't give it away) And it's great, driver support is also much improved too, a little learning about source code and how to unpack and install and off you go!

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

No need to unpack, burn the iso straight to disc using, for example, imgburn

Imgburn

I also use uNetbootin to do same for flash cards/sticks

Other apps will also do these things but I find the above can be done in just a few clicks.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Also note you can almost certainly boot from DVDs too if you have a DVD drive. Doesn't have to be CD.

Saves making a special trip if you run out of CDs.

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

How do you post hyperlinks now? I've been away for a while :))

Can't copy and paste anymore?

Sorry, a bit off topic.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Ctrl-L. Make a new thread if you want further info.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

If you're unpacking anything, you've got it wrong and it will never work.

You burn an iso file "as is".

This link which I wrote a while back, will explain exactly how to do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers