We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphic card

denso50

Likes # 0

I am running XP PRO and want to upgrade to Win 7. The PC is old but good and I have had Win 7 running on a partition Ok but the Graphic card is not up to the job. G force 4 MX 4000. I want to upgrade the card but with the PC being old it doesn't have PCI E,is there a card I can upgrade to?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

A quick Google search throws up two AGP cards both ATI Radeon, one is the HD3850 and the other the HD 4670. Both around the £75 mark so a bit pricy perhaps.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You will need an AGP card. Have a look here AGP if you use this Belarc it will list your motherboard,which you can post here and I'll have a look at the specs.

Like this post
denso50

Likes # 0

Thanks for the response, An AGP card wont fit in a PCI slot.(Unless I use a big hammer)

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If your motherboard is so old that it doesn't have an AGP slot then I am surprised that it has enough RAM to support Windows 7. Did you check with Belarc as to which motherboard you have?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Well,what's your motherboard then???????

Like this post
denso50

Likes # 0

Hi,Board: K7S8X. 3.0 BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P2.20 10/07/2003.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Which is an Asrock. Yes?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

According to the user manual you have an AGP slot.Manual

Like this post
denso50

Likes # 0

Hi,thanks for that,your help is much appreciated. Not only found out the board supports AGP,but reading some of the manual helps with other stuff also.Again thanks.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

So no big hammer needed then.LOL

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia