We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Upgrade issue

ventanas

Likes # 0

I have a Dell Vostro 200 on my desk running Vista Ultimate, and I would like to move it Windows 7 Ultimate. Problem is Dell don't provide any Windows 7 drivers for this machine. It isn't really that old, about 3 years I think.

When I last moved a pc from Vista to 7 (Toshiba laptop) I downloaded every possible driver first, and then didn't actually need any of them. The Win 7 installation took care of it. Question is, could I rely on the same happening here if I went for it.

I suppose I could source each driver indivually by manufacturer, but that's a lot of searching.

Grateful for any help.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Should have added Chipset, Graphics, Sound, Network etc all passed the compatibility test. In fact nothing of any significance failed.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Are you referring only to drivers for graphics, drives and similar? If so you may find that many you already have will function with W7. To check you could run the W7 Upgrade Advisor; it can be downloaded from link text

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Looks as if you answered the question whilst I was posting :-))

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

I don't see a problem here:-

1. The Vista drivers would work anyway.
  2. The Component Manufacturers Drivers would be more up to date.
  3. Windows update will more than probably offer updates the first time you run it.
Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Thank you, ordered the DVD this afternoon. I'm going to reformat first, with a clean reinstall of Vista, update all drivers, and then upgrade to Win 7.

Hopefully will be a bit shorter than the eleven hours the laptop took. But this machine had many programs on it, and everything worked when it eventually finished.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made