We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitor or Graphic Card?

BubbleWorks

Likes # 0

Hello

My PC is giving me headaches! It is running WinXP.

I start my PC and I can see the boot screen on the monitor but as soon as the second page of the boot screen loads, my monitor goes black and starts making a "blip, blip, blip" noise and the little green light on it starts blinking. Sometimes the Windows Logo comes up after a while, but then the screen goes blank again.

My graphic card has 2 digital-out ports, my monitor has a digital-in and an analog-in port.

Things I have already tried:

Use port1 on the Graphic Card - not even the boot screen comes up on the monitor Using port2 on the Card: digital to digital - boot screen, then off digital to analog - as above, but occasionally windows logo

Stupidly, it did work after the 100th reboot yesterday, but my monitor then had a pop-up saying that resolution isn't optimal (was sitting in 1280/960), so I changed it to 1280/1024 and it went off again, now it wont load at all. Windows loads just fine, it is just my monitor that stays blank. It is not going into hibernation like it does, if it doesn't get a signal, that would be an orange light on the screen. It just has a blinking green light and keeps going "blip, blip, blip" - slight madness is creeping in....sorry. It's driving me nuts.

I haven't got a spare monitor or Graphics Card at home, so I am unable to play, would anyone be able to help and give me a guess of what it could be?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

AS you get boot screen its not monitor or Graphics card that's the Problem, its other Hardware. Will it Go into BIOS and stay running? if it does its as I said above. Could be the Hard Drive is Damaged, ie Corrupt or bad sectors. Have you tried tapping F5 or F8 at startup to get to Safe Mode or Last Known Good configuration PS if you have another monitor try that on the PC

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Wrong screen resolution settings in windows - Basic until windows boots this is why you can see the screen when first switched on.

Boot to safe mode - can you see the screen?

Set to 60hz 1024-768 these are pretty basic settings

reboot into windows and see if the monitor stays on.

Like this post
Vintage90

Likes # 0

This could also be a faulty card, or monitor. Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

Try that first, they can be found at the manufactures web site. If that fails, you could open the PC and reseat the card in it's slot. When you mention beeping, is it coming from the PC or the monitor? Never heard a monitor beep, but the sounds could also indicate bad Ram.

A lot to look at, but if it will run in safe mode and stay running, then it's likely your problem is software related

Like this post
BubbleWorks

Likes # 0

Hi all

thanks for the help - I have since found that this is a common issue, the monitor (or to be more precise the capacitors) is broken.

here is a link explaining it: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247964-33-viewsonic-vx922-monitor-black-screen-green-power-light-flashes

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Glad you are sorted.

Will somone PLEASE explain how to post links?

CT

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Crosstrainer2

1. Highlight and copy the web address from your browser
  2. Click on the Globe with the green arrow it opens address box
  3. Paste web address
  4. Click OK
  5. Write something appropriated where its says [Link text]
  6. DO NOT remove the [ ] brackets
  7. The web address appears at the bottom of the Post Box do not remove or overwrite it

Practice here

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thank you! It's a bit like the server stuff I was using in another forum. But the format is differnet!

I shall test later. Nurse coming @ $PM

CT

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do