We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Running low on disc space

DAKAR
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all This one is for me I keep getting the message running low on disc space,I have tried removing programmes in control panel but I cannot see anything I would be happy removing The only heavy users I can see are service pack 1 and service pack 2 I am running XP sp3 any ideas as what I can do. Kind regards Dakar

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

First try running Cleanup

Cleanup Link

Then Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore Click Settings and turn off System Restore to clear all old Restore Points then set the restore Slider to about 7% of the Drive

Now reboot and see how much free space you have, it should also create a new Restore Point by doing the above

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

have you tried running Ccleaner? But if it is getting that low I would suggest putting in second drive they are not that expensive. If IDE

If IDEIf SataIf IDE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As well as the above - remove all the MSupdate restore points from windows

Make sure show hidden files and folders is set - open the C:\windows folder and you will see lots of files in BLUE starting with $ - these can all be deleted to save hard drive space.

Like this post  
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Thanks so much Woodchip,Strawballs and Fruit Bat /\0/\ I will give your suggestions a go and post back. Many thanks kind regards Dakar

Like this post
kingussie

Likes # 0

Could someone give me the same info for an Imac with OSX

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

kingussie

Start your own thread or you won't get notifications of answers and if anybody does Dakar will get them.

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi guys I have carried out the clean up operation as suggested and now showing 230 MB free space but still occassionally get the window pop up telling me I am low on disc space. I wanted to remove Sonic as it is using a lot of disc space but I get the message network error occured while attempting to read from the file c:\WINDOWS\Installer\My DVD.MSI If this is a windows installer problem how can I fix it Regards Dakar

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its not enough, you need to remove some Programs and reinstall them to a External USB drive doing a Custom Install

Like this post
DAKAR

Likes # 0

Hi woodchip I am having a problem unistalling some programmes and I have tried to uninstall Java and reinstall it because I was prompted on BT web site when I tried to do a speed test but I keep getting the message internal error 2753.regutils.dll Could it be a windows installer problem once I get this working then I can do as you suggest Thanks for your reply Regards Dakar

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried uninstalling in Safe Mode using Add Remove Programs in Control Panel

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer