We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

belkin N1 wireless router

gidster

Likes # 0

hi , ive got a wireless router a belkin N1 . im connected through virgin media.im running 2 xboxs on live,laptop and 3 ipods and phones and mainly its fine but today it loses connection after about half an hour and i have to reset it.

my question is does anyone know wshat the correct set up of the router should be? by that i mean on the set up page for the router on the internet? because theres loads of options to turn this on turn that off and ive not got a clue,basiclly ive just left it as it is. should i have security on it ? does lose connection when someone else trys to connect?

ive done a speed and ping test and they are spot on,so its got to be something im not doing. sorry about all the questions.

cheers

Like this post
Vintage90

Likes # 0

Firstly yes, you do need security on. You have a choice between the older WEP or the newer more secure WPA. But Windows 7 64 bit does not like WPA.

As long as your email, and Internet access are all working, then the best thing to do is have a good look at the manual, You have a lot of devices attached, are they hard wired or wireless?

In my Draytek thread I have posted a query about WPA and Windows 7. Mine never drops out, has a DTS system, A Regza television attached by cable, and I use my iPad and laptop wirelessly.

One thing you could try is the UPNP setting. It's most likely disabled by default, but remember where it lives when you find it so you can disable it again if it doesn't help!

A lot of menus really should be left alone, if you want to play, you will also find a backup entry somewhere in the system. This will allow you to restore the router to exactly the same settings as before you made changes. Save it to your desktop for easy access.

Like this post
gidster

Likes # 0

hi yeah all my devices are wireless, and at the moment it seems to be fine,what i did was change the channel. if i put the security on the router will there be issues connecting all my devices?

cheers

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

You mean your running without security? Okay.

Start with. Backup you current config you know it works.

Then start with WEP, simple to do should not effect anything.

If that works (backup config again)

Try WPA / PSK

This might not work, but if you have got that backup, you can return to where you are now.

CT

Like this post
gidster

Likes # 0

got security on know, think its wpa and eveything connects nicely had an issue with the xboxs but sorted it know.

cheers folks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone