We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Headphones only work from Front Panel

williamj

Likes # 0

Headphones will not work when plugged into the audio jack plug outputs on an ASUS K8N-VM Motherboard. The BIOS for "Onboard Audio" is 'Enabled'. Can someone advise if the "Onboard Audio" is 'Disabled' in the BIOS will the headphones work when plugged into the Motherboard jack plugs at the rear of the P.C.? And the front panel connections disabled. Obviously I could change the BIOS and check but I would like reassurance before going into the BIOS.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Check for driver problems in device manager.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Control panel - sound and audio devices - Audio tab - Sound playback you sould be able to select the Default Device and set to rear panel.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Not sure if this helps, but in a motherboard problem I mentioned here a little while back, the motherboard sound hardware had jumpers which identified to the motherboard whether sound was to the rear panel or the front panel. If you wanted sound to the front panel, you had to remove the jumpers and get a cable to connect the sound device to the front panel. If you wanted audio to the rear panel, you left the jumpers in place. (My problem was that neither the jumpers nor the cable were present, meaning that I had no sound at all.) I've certainly known PCs in the past where you could have sound to the rear or front, but not both. It may be a function of some motherboard designs. As such, it might be worth downloading the manual for your motherboard to see if the same is true for yours.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I just checked here:

It looks like, to enable front panel audio, you need to attach a cable from the motherboard to the front audio panel...

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

This one has got me quite intrigued.

In theory, attaching the front panel audio cable to the motherboard pins could act instead of the jumpers on the pins - so there should be no reason why you couldn't have front and rear audio. I'm not sure though...

However: even if that does turn out to be the problem - that you need a cable - sourcing one looks as if it could be a real can of worms. The normally-reliable eBay has a number of cables, but they're all manufacturer-specific. And Googling for a cable for your motherboard indicates lots of interest - but nowhere to buy one...

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I wish I'd read your post properly in the first place... :-(

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Most cases these days come with the necessary cable to fit on a socket on the motherboard. What is your motherboard? this will tell you if you are unsure, Belarc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

gengiscant: you and I are obviously suffering from the same affliction this evening... :-( It's an ASUS K8N-VM, per the OP.

Despite my misgivings above, though, I wonder if the presence - rather than the lack - of a cable could be the issue?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Are you saying that The headphones do not work where ever they are plugged in,front or back?

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

Headphones only work when plugged into the front panel. They do NOT work when plugged into the Motherboard jack plugs at the back. I have changed the BIOS as 1st mentioned to *Disabled * and lost sound completly so that is not the answer. Now changed back to Enabled. I have checked the Motherboard manual and ther are no jumbers mentioned to change the settings. Re Fruit/bat. Going to the Audio settings via the Control panel The sound card is shown as HD Audio render (On Board Audio) and when I go to Advanced settings the spesker setting are set for 'Desktop Sterio Speakers' and there is a long list of choices. Would a change of Speaker set up give output from rear jack plugs? Note neither speaker or Mic work from rear jack plugs, and both work from front panel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance