We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Reformat WD external drive

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - the title says what I want to do as it was causing a problem. I've copied everything onto another drive and a friend told me to not to just do a quick format, but instead to do one which looks at every sector. However, when I right click the drive in My Computer, the only options are Quick format and Enable compression.

I've got XP and the drive is NTFS, unpartitioned. Do you think a quick format will be ok, or is there another option lurking somewhere which will do the equivlalent of a brillo pad job?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type cmd and click OK) and, at the prompt, type...

format x: /fs:ntfs

[where "x" is the drive letter of the external drive]

...and press Enter. The drive must already have a single partition or you wouldn't have been able to use it.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Go into Admin tools / disk management / and format from there.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thank you - I thought there must be something somewhere!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Rawprawn - that only gives the options of quick format or enable file and folder compression.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I'm surprised, but thanks for telling me. RP

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Try Western Digital support - Support page I recently had to reformat and run diagnostics for a friends Passport external drive and I did a full format on that.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I formatted my WD "My Book" twice using the method I suggested, like canarieslover I had no problems.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes a Quick Format, But First do a Full Disc Check using Disc Checker under My Computer, Double Click My Computer then Right Click the Drive/Properties/Tools Disc Check and tick the box to do a full check. In old Win98 you could not do a Format if the Drive had Problems, It made you do it like the above, disc check then Formate

Like this post  
exdragon

Likes # 0

woodchip - the options in Tools are Automatically fix file system errors or scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors - do I pick the second option? And then do the quick format?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance